Introduction
For the last 14 years I have been developing and playtesting my rules based on Bill Banks Ancients and Warrior Kings - Ancient Battlelines Clash. In a bit of a rules funk so for something a little different, I try my hand at developing rules based on DBA and Armati. By the end they morphed into a newer version of my own rules,
Background
There are three main rules that have influenced the creation of these rules: DBA, Armati 2 and my own ABC rules.
DBA
I have always admired how great DBA is as a tight small simple ruleset. But I find when I play it I find it just ordinary. But I try again every now and then. I have always been particularly intrigued by the forerunner to DBA, DBSA. DBSA was written for a Society of Ancients event while Phil was working on DBA version 1 as a more comprehensive ruleset (the Slingshot magazine 148 has Phil Barker explaining the development of DBSA and DBA). DBSA has no shooting, has chariots as a distinct troop type and simpler quick kill rules. I have used DBSA as a basis for attempting to craft a ruleset I liked but never managed it (I do seem to add in shooting all the time though).
Armati 2
I think Armati 2 is my favourite ancient miniature wargaming ruleset. I play this occasionally with another friend over the last 20 years. It really seems to capture how I envisage an ancient battle unfolds, and has a lot of tactical decision-making required. I have tried solo playing it and it is just not the same. When I add some solo elements, it morphs into a different feel. Which is why I created my own rules - Ancient Battlelines Clash.
Ancient Battlelines Clash
Ancients Battlelines Clash has been my go to rules since developing them in 2012. Originally aiming to play battles on a 2’x2’ in under 30 minutes. However, I seem to have lost my way in the last 5-6 years and constantly tinker with them, changing mechanisms, outcomes etc. Not necessarily for the better. And still going at it. Ah well.
Deja vu
While looking at Google for the location of DBSA it put up a blog post of mine where I see went through a lot of this 3 years ago in the blog post: https://shaun-wargaming-minis.blogspot.com/2023/04/600000-views-and-13-years.html
I do vaguely remember all of this. I am glad I wrote a post about it or would have forgotten how much time I did spend on DBSA/Armati (and Phalanx!). I did look over all the rules I wrote at that time when relooking at DBSA a month ago but did not realise I had actually played them a few times.
Rules development
Looking for rules with about 6 units a side and playing on an 8x8 grid (about half a standard DBA board). The smaller board is good as it helps test out the rules and it very fast. I started with DBSA and De Bellis Minimus (rules to play DBA on a 1'x1' board with 6 elements a side ) as a foundation. But then changed lots :-)
- No d6=1 treated as a 0
- Used 1d3 for PIPs (aim to go to +1/-1 for command difference later)
- Change unit labels (e.g. Ax = MI, Light Horse = LC)
- Changed the 2d6 opposed roll combat to 1d6
- Added in a grid
- Overlap are only when no enemy in your ZOC
- Melee happens in a square and a recoil result in separating into respective originating squares.
- Flee became move 1 entire square back (called this retreat later)
- Added in distance shooting
- Resisting adding in a point system
- Changed combat outcomes, in DBA terms: <½ is always destroyed but added LC/LI retreat (former flee) result to ½ and > ½
- Added in a minor movement restrictions to tidy up grid movement
- Added in mandatory/impetuous charging for Heavy Cavalry, Warbands and a few others
- Clarified shooting results - all shooting results in either retreat (instead of a recoil) or destroyed
- Resisting adding in a point system but did add in that LI (aka Psiloi) are only worth ½ a victory point. And later I did read a similar suggestion on fanacticus.org so it is not just me!
The following add in reactions to enemy actions to make it a bit more solo friendly. I did not add them to the first few games (could not help myself and did later on). These move the game along at a pace, add some unpredictability and I use them in my own ABC rules. They do remove the need to spend dice pips for enemy movement as a lot is reactive:
- If shot at in ZOC of enemy and no result target charges shooter
- If Bow shot a mandatory charger and no result then target charges Bow
- If enemy moves into charge distance of a mandatory charger then should the charger immediately charge?
A question in the back of my mind is should maybe only bound or non-bounding fires rather than both? Bowfire can be powerful but units do start close together. I played both until I added in reactions, where a unit fires when activated and a target missile unit will return fire anyway.
If anyone is interested, here is a link to the rules after playtesting. not fully tested and (spoiler) replaced with other rules.
ABCD rules August 2026 v0.1a.pdf
This is the end of these rules. Pre-empting the end of this post, I have morphed these rules to include reactions to actions, more streamlining and tweaking to play on larger grids, and modified a lot more too!
Playing the rules
I used an 8x8 (20cmx20cm) grid with 6mm forces set up next to my computer.. This way it took up very little space and was quite accessible.
Sumer Vs Akkad
I played about 6-8 games of this, with different setups. I seem to have taken no pictures of any of the games. But it did help with some clarifications.
Marathon
8x8 board
Setup (in Algebraic Notation)
Greeks (move first)
Phalanx (c2), Spear (d2), Spear (e2), Phalanx* (f2)
Persians
Light Infantry (c7), Bowx2* (d7), Bowx2 (e7), Light Infantry (f7)
Optional: replace LI (f7) with Medium Cavalry (f7)
Optional: replace Bowx2 (e7) with Bow (e7) and LI (g7)
* = General
Marathon with cavalry
I did do a couple of games with the cavalry option, just to see what it was like.
Side quest
And then got caught up doing a whole bunch of 6 elements a side army lists based on DBA 1.1 army lists. I thought as the rules have a basis in early DBA should test them with the early lists. I started with the first army (Sumerian and Akkadian), picked the first enemy (Early Syrian) and played the game with the army being the first player, enemy the second. Work down the list to find the next unplayed army and work across to find the next unplayed enemy. I also have a simple programmed opponent I can use to decide on army tactics that helps with deployment and the first few moves. I managed three games before I realised I prefer some reactions to enemy moves.
Akkadian (1/1 Vs Early Syrian 1/4b)
1 Sumerian & Akkadian: 2 Ch 3 Sp 1 LI (Mounted: Left Flank)
4b Early Syrian: 1 WB 2 Ax 3 LI (Missile: Staged retreat)
Two terrain pieces, 1 steep hill (Syrian side), 1 gentle hill (Akkadian side)
The Akkadians did win but it was a close thing. Both Akkadian chariots were routed, along with their Light infantry. The Syrians being in the difficult going really helped with slowing down the speed of victory.
Egyptian Vs Nubian
2 Old & Middle Kingdom Egyptian: 2 Sp 3 Bw 1 LI (Missile: Flank)
3 Nubian: 2 Wb 2 Bw 2 LI (Missile: Defensive)
1 steep hill
The Egyptians did well charging straight ahead and routing a warband and then a Bow unit. However, a bit of manoeuvring by the Nubians saw a Bow unit overwhelmed and then the General unit trapped and killed. Nubians win!
Libyan Vs Hyskos (with some changes in the rules)
Was to be:
4a Early Libyan: 1 Wb 5 LI
8a Hyksos: 3 LCh 1 Sp 2 LI
And this is where I had a change of heart. While the rules I have created are great, they are really two player. They are solo friendly in as far as you are playing both sides and fairly easy to do so. I miss the reactions that provided uncertainty for each side and so the tactical situation constantly changed. My original intent was to create a set of very solo-friendly rules (ABC) but I do like how these feel, just need to add in some reactions (I did allude to this earlier). Anyway, I added my normal reactions I seem to put into most of my rules:
Possibly charge after being shot at
Shoot at an enemy if they move into range
Impetuously charge if an enemy comes into range.
This is all done the moment the situation occurs. No IGOYGO This does also mean the rolling PIPs for moves needs to go (a fair amount of movement is now involuntary) and back to activating groups with a roll (basically a 2+, 3+ for single units).
I did also take the opportunity to go for point based armies rather than 6 a side, and medium cavalry will Quick Kill infantry (like Armati).
So now:
4a Early Libyan: 2 Wb 4 LI (Missile: Right Flank)
8a Hyksos: 3 LCh 1 Sp 1 LI (Missile: Defensive (Right Oblique)
There is a steep hill on the Libyan right flank. I forgot a deployment photo but here is the end state with a decisive win for the Hyksos as the chariots routed the Libyan light infantry and the Warbands bounced and routed off the Hyksos Spearmen. Most of the remaining elements in the picture are Hyksos.
Worked well.
End note
This is also where I remembered I should really be replaying historical battles as that is what I actually enjoy. I have had the Battle of Adrianople, 378 AD, set up with 15mm forces on my 10x10 grid for over 4 months as I detoured into testing these rules using 6mm on a 8x8 grid. While the 8x8 grid with pre-generated armies are great for campaign games (although I am thinking Dominion the the Spear may still be my rules of choice for them), I am going to go and see if my motivation can get me back to playing the historical games. These DBA rules are not very different now from the ABC rules, with the combat mechanism being the main change. I like them at the moment, let us see how long they survive further playing! Spoiler - did not survive but did morph into other similar rules.
Post-script
I then went down a rabbit hole of generic-ish 3x3 rules for ancients, SF skirmish and WW2 and maybe even other stuff (may be worthy of another post!). And then I thought “could I apply these to larger sized ancient games?” (have been here before - scaling up and down). Currently deciding between continuing with the 10x10 grid I have been using for the last couple of years; or looking to do a 15x15 grid (i.e. 2’x2’ table split into 40mm squares) to match my 15mm ancient figures. Really, I just need to stop thinking and play a few games on different sized boards to see what I currently enjoy!
Spoiler - the generic-ush 3x3 rules were once again a dead end. I have been down this rabbit hole about 3 times in the last 6 years, never successfully. At least I am consistent. I ten went to a 1d6 alternative to Dominion of the Spear ;like games (again, have been here before) and expanded to a 6x6 grid and then hopefully a 10x10 grid. But that belongs in another post. It did take me about eight weeks to do this one, so I may try for a shorter time until the next one :-)
An an aside
Just to show I am not just thinking about gaming but also playing, I did get a chance to play a WW2 game with my18yo son on a table tennis table with my 20mm kit. It was actually setup ready to go for 3 weeks until we could both find a few hours free to play the game.
Summary
Got a new combat mechanism I like, and should be transferable to more Armati-like games. Otherwise the rules are still my own Ancient Battlelines Clash at the core. Got in some games as well. Still in a bit of a gaming funk but believe I may be ready to get back to playing some historical games on a 10x10 or larger grid.










No comments:
Post a Comment