Sunday 20 October 2024

Operation Jupiter 28 – Edge of the Plateau. 20mm WW2 battle report.

Introduction

This is game 28 in replaying the scenarios from the Briton Publishers Operation Jupiter skirmish scenario book.   Links to previous games are on this blog page.

Rules used

I am using my WW2 rules that I had for a 3x4 grid that I then made a gridless version for 2’x2’ games.  These games are larger forces on a bigger table (half a table tennis table or 4x5’x5’) so I have modified them a little so now added a few things from my older rules - unit card activation and now each figures is not suppressed but a section can be if fired on by enough dice.  They are very similar to rule I used 10 years ago.

Scenario

This is a tank Vs tank game.  Each side must knockout every opposing tank to win, or force the other side to leave. There is no turn limit.

Troops

British

Brits

1xFirefly (veteran crew)

4xShermans

Germans

Germans

1xStugIIIG

2xPanzerIV

1xPanther

1xMarderIII

Note the MarderIII is substituting for a sdkfz251/22 as I don’t have a model for the latter.

Deployment

Battlefield

I am activating using one card per vehicle.

My money is on the Germans as they have the better guns.  I did think this would not be too exciting  - my rules for tanks are fairly simple: 1d6 to hit with a few modifiers and 1d6 to penetrate (using attacker gun and defender armour modifiers).  Miss or damage (2xdamage=KO) or KO.  But it was quite a tense game after all, mainly as there was terrain to navigate around.

Game

The first few turns were spent getting the vehicles on the board. The Firefly hanging back as it has an excellent gun for long range fire.

The lead PzIV gets to the hedge corner, spots the Firefly and fires.  And misses.  Firefly fires back and also misses.

Overview

More moving.  The Shermans and Stug in the orchard fail to spot each other (visibility limited to 18” if not firing and need a 5+ at that range).

A suppressed PanzerIV manages to damage the Firefly.  Not good news for the British.

Damaged Firefly

Even though damaged, the Firefly gets a shot off at the Panzer IV and destroys it.  The first KO in the game.

PanzerIV destroyed

More movement and some firing at the Firefly.  A Sherman damages the Marder.

Tanks in the orchard

The Firefly damages the Panther.  The Panther returns fire but for no effect.  The nearby PanzerIV also fires for no effect.

Damaged Panther

The Marder is then destroyed.

Marder KO

Finally, the Stug damages a Sherman.

The Stug damages a Sherman

The Firefly fires at the Panther again and the Panther is destroyed.  The Germans are 3 vehicles down and decide to retire.

 

Verdict

As I said at the beginning, I did think it would be a dull game.  Turns out it wasn’t and I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I was going to do.

4 comments:

  1. I think vehicles stalking each other can be quite exciting. Tactical armoured combat is very unforgiving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In 45 years of playing ww2 games, I realised I have never played a straight tank Vs tank game (with no infantry at all - I have played some tank heavy games though). I also never thought they could be that interesting, but obvously I was wrong :-)

      Delete
  2. I suspected the success of the Brits would largely be dependent on the performance of the Firefly (having a veteran crew helped). A victory for the British 👏👏
    Cheers,
    Geoff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Firefly was in a simialr position as the Panther on the other side - great gun with a long range. Defintely having the Firefly in a good position and rolling good dice gave the British their first victory in a while.

      Delete