Saturday 20 February 2021

Operation Jupiter 16 - Trouble Near le Mesnil 20mm WW2 (Rapid Fire Reloaded)

Introduction

This is game 16 in replaying the scenarios from the Briton Publishers Operation Jupiter skirmish scenario book.  Game 15 was early 2017 so it has been a while!  I played this one on a 3'x3' table using 20mm, using some new rules (to me) Rapid Fire Reloaded.  And against my 12yo son. Links to previous games are on this blog page.

Rules used were Rapid Fire Reloaded

Previous scenarios were played using various modifications of my own rules, loosely based off a Rapid Fire clone called Take Cover!!   Rapid Fire Reloaded (RFR) has been out for a few months and arrived earlier this week. It seems simple and aligns to my style of play.  And it will be good to play with rules as written.  It does not really have the concept of suppression but can live without that…for now anyway.

Most of my 20mm WW2 terrain is in storage and I only have access to a 1mx1m (40”x40”) grass mat I bought on the weekend.  And that will fit on the dining table.  Due to the small table size, each rifleman figure on the table is really 2 RFR figures.  When down a casualty I am using a maker to indicate the loss of an RFR figure. Crew served weapons are 1 figure = 1 RFR figure.  Oh, and testing morale at the level of 10 or so figures (a platoon in this scenario) rather than the 30-40 in the rules.

Note: We did play the rules slightly wrong.  In the rules, almost all section infantry are 2 figures to a base.  And you need to score 2 casualties to a base before removing the base.  The way I played is to track all casualties.  This is a really important difference to the rules!  This would have not made a lot of difference in this game but can see that with more balanced force this is a really great rule and will pay this way in future.  This actually ties in really well with my 1 figure = 2 RFR figures.  The way the rues work will work very well with my small table 6mm games where I am planning 1 base = 2 RFR figures.

Scenario

British must capture the barn within 8 turns from the German defenders.

One small gap can be made available for the British tanks to enter.  British troops take one entire turn to cross the hedge (turn 1 move to hedge, turn 2 cross hedge, turn 3 move away from hedge)


The field of battle



View of the objective from the British side


Troops

British


British


1 Company HQ

    3 figures

3 Platoons

    1 platoon HQ (1 figure)

    3 Sections (3 figures each)

1 2” mortar

4 Universal Carriers

3 Churchill VII

British are all regular.

 

Germans


German


1 Kompanie

    1 Kompanie HQ (2 figures)

    1 Zug

            1 HQ

3 Gruppe (3 figures each)

1 MG42

1 Flak 36 ATG (Elite)

1 PzKpfw IV

Germans are all regular except the ATG.

 

Game scale is 3 figures =  1 section (8-12 soldiers); 1 support weapon = 1 support weapon 1 AFV = 1 AFV. Ground scale is not specified but would be about 1:300.

Deployment


German deploymenr


Tank as a reserve, ATGun covering everything.  Kompanie HQ and the Zug in the barn while the rest of the company in the hedge out front.

I told my son a bit about the rules and that he had 8 turns to take the barn.  All the tactics were his and he was quite aware that the focus was: Barn. 8 turns. 

Game

Firstly, a few things. I normally play on half a table tennis table.  This is a 1mx1m mat.  It is half the size while in my mind it was a little smaller.  So there are too many units on the British side.  They are over 3:1 compared to the Germans and with the rules this is overwhelming advantage to the attacking British.  I should have reduce the number.  Secondly, I made 1 20mm figure = 2 RFR figures.  While this worked, It did mean that I had a lot of actual dice I could roll for combat. Reducing the  British figure count would have helped here.

Lastly (and the best bit), I was setting it up at about 7:3pm0 ready to play it after the children went to bed and my 12yo son asked what am I doing and can he play?  Did not hesitate and so I played my first game of 20mm WW2 with my son for over 4 years (he was 8 last time).  The game lasted about 45 minutes and he had fun.  So need to play again!

When I was taking the first few pictures he did ask if they were for the blog. When I said yes he said he felt sorry for everyone that has to read through the boring blog post.  So supportive 😊

 

The British brought on the carriers with some lead units and the Churchills lined up to go through the gap.  The rest of the swarm, I mean company, lined up on the bocage to cross it.  You can see already there are too many British figures for the small width of the table.


British enter the field

The British lined up their Churchills to protect the troops as they cross the hedge. The rules only allow for 4 figures to be protected by AFVs but he seemed so happy with his plan I told him it was OK (as I had not mentioned the rule and unfair to inflict it on him in the first game!).  So they counted as being in soft cover.

My Panzer IV knocked out a Churchill with its first shot.  Return fire missed entirely


Churchills move to protect the troops but one is knocked out

 

The British infantry are over the bocage.

The British spot the three figure Gruppe at the corner of the hedge and wipe it out (there are a lot of British.


Where a Gruppe was.


The British swarm follows in the shadow of the tanks.


The lead carrier that is providing flank ability for the barn is down to one figure after being targeted by the Panzer iV.


Bren carrier is down some troops

The Churchill move forwards to protect the infantry advance.    They are close to the barn now – ready to launch an attack!


The British ,protected by the Churchills, continue to advance

The other platoon guarding the hedge is targeted with a close assault.  They are gone.  I use a rule from Take Cover! where the winner loses one figure as well.

 

The British close assault the defenders of the hedge – 3 out of action, the fourth retreats to the barn.

The Panzer’s and AT gun are targeting the infantry.  The Churchills continue to target the Panzer iV.  I said you need a 5 or 6.  Rolled a five and a six.  I then said you need to roll 3-4 to damage, 5-6 to destroyed.  Another 5 and a 6 sees the PanzerIV definitely KO.


Panzer IV finally knocked out

The British now assault the building.  I had 7 figures in there and houseruled that that was maximum occupancy so he could assault with 2 more.  I won with good dice rolling. And the British retreat. Next turn the British go in again.


British close assaulting the barn

I roll a 1, he rolls a 6.  I lose and will abandon the building and roll a 1 for army morale so pull back off the field of battle. The Brits win!  Note this was turn 7 of the 8 turn limit.


End game – These are all the remaining troops + 1 German AT gun off right.


Verdict

The rules worked well. And playing with my son a definite bonus.  He wants to play again.  The game is one sided to the British but the point is the time limit to ensure the battalion continues its push.

Need to work out some rules on building assaults (likely max occupancy and assaulting figures can be max occupancy+2.  Other than that is so reminded me of my post 2000 playing with Take Cover!!  I feel I need to add suppression still, mainly as 3 figures are a section and so a section suppression should be part of the game, probably not applicable with 1:10 figure ratio that the game is designed for.  

13 comments:

  1. So cool that you were able to play with your son and that he enjoyed the game:). Sadly my son has no interest whatsoever in my games, except at one point when he insisted on joining in with his Daleks, no matter the period. My gaming friends were very understanding I must say!

    I've seen a few other Bloggers enjoying these rules, but I'll stick with my tried and tested BKCII, as they work for me. The scenario books sounds good and will check it out to see if it will easily transfer to BKCII.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only three months ago my son (who plays computer games) said "Do you know what they call people who play with figures?" "Losers". In his defence, it was in the middle of some banter with him boasting about how good he was at some game, and me possibly being sarcastic...

      BKC is a great set - although I have only ever played the first edition with all the additions, that then were added to create BKC2. The scenarios would port fine. They are not always balanced (such as the one above) with a time limit involved in many scenarios. So you are trying to beat the clock which is a challenge on its own in some of the scenarios.

      Delete
  2. Nice game Shaun, the 3’ x 3’ will appeal to many.

    By chance, I had my copy of RF Reloaded out today, running a couple of small ‘training’ exercises between Shermans and a PaK 40 hidden behind a hedge. Interesting and at times brutal! I then did the same with Battlegroup and am still try to decide on final thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm.

      RF Reloaded is also a nostalgia trip for me as it is so similar to the rules I played 1998-2010 (and my homegrown rules are also derived from them). So playing RFR is like rediscovering an old friend that has aged really well (i.e. its striped back simplicity). RTR reloaded has a different mechanism for infantry fire, AT fire, HE fire and while I thought I would hate that, all are fairly simple and all just a d6 roll, and I love single d6 rolls!

      3'x3' is an unusual side for me. My next scale up from 2'x2' was normally a foldout antique table 3'x5' but that is in storage. As I replied to Jack below, I am ready to get out the 1/2 a table tennis table for some games!

      Delete
  3. Shaun,

    Awesome man, so much to love here! Playing WWII, with (sort of) new rules, the game was fast, you got back to your 20mm troops, got back to Operation Jupiter, played on a good looking table, the good guys won, you got to play with your boy, and he beat ya! ;)

    45 minutes, you say? That's quite impressive. Of course I'll screw that up because I want to play much larger games... I certainly look forward to you getting all your terrain out and back on your ping-pong table, but it all worked, and the only time it really looked cramp was right at the beginning when the Brits were preparing to, and then crossing, the line of departure (coming through the hedge).

    A boy after my own heart, heading straight into close combat at the hedge and then the barn; nd don't think I didn't notice what you did, coming up with a 'building occupancy' on the fly so he could only use two rifle sections to close assault the barn! But cheaters never prosper and he swiftly evicted you and your jack-booted henchmen!

    Of course, he still several lashes for not showing proper reverence for the blog ;)

    Altogether, I give it a... FANTASTIC! Thanks so much for playing and posting, I really enjoyed it and can't wait for more. And it's really making me jones to get these rules on the table with my boys; the only thing stopping me is me, I get so wrapped around having all the forces finished and everything properly prepared, need to just get in there and play.

    Alright buddy, let's go with the next fight!

    V/R,
    Jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Jack, it was multiple wins at once wasn't it?

      I went to the storage shed and have now got a couple of small plastic tubs of terrain in the house. The table tennis table has always been here but with no terrain cloth (I have an average one in one of the boxes). It does mean I will likely be playing a few games on 1/2 a table tennis table (4.5'x5') which I have found is plenty enough size for a short game. And there is enough space to set up something that size so all good there. Favourite is still the full 9'x5' though! The latter will likely have to wait until the renovations have happened so have the time and space.

      Working up to playing the 6mm campaign with the Rapid Fire Reloaded rules in the next few days. And more Operation Jupiter games/ These may be solo as I may play some more balanced games with the boy but you never know - there are 6 urban scenarios in a row that use the same table coming up. This means that I have to play 6 games. It would be a waste to set it up and not play all 6 games wouldn't it? (this the the fact I am planning to use with my wife :-) )

      Rapid Fire 2 has very detailed rules about building assaults and occupancy. Take Cover had some basic rules as well. RTR has "figures within 1 of enemy or building" I couldn't make this work with the building scale as the British could have easily surrounded the building with 20 figures!

      Delete
    2. Shaun,

      Indeed it was! Alright, glad to see you getting dug in, and if the wife doesn't see the necessity of setting up the ping-pong table for the next six games, well, this really calls into question the depth of her love for you. I'm sure the two of you can work to a mutually beneficial solution ;)

      Yeah, I remember the six straight fights on the same map. And solo, eh? The boy's victory has left a lasting mark on your psyche, I see ;)

      And gotcha on the building assaults, but I can't imagine it will affect me too much. And from that standpoint, if the British have 20 figures there, I say let them surround the building with their 20 figures!

      Cool stuff man, I am greatly looking forward to more fights.

      V/R,
      Jack

      Delete
    3. I have the OK to set up the table for a week or so. Just need to plan the forces and the scenario for 6 games in a row and that way I can just play then one straight after the other.

      The solo for Operation Jupiter is more that the games may be very imbalanced. If looking at the scenarios it is not too bad then I am hoping for non-solo. Anyway, I am cheering for the Brits so even playing the Germans it is a win win if the boy wins :-)

      Delete
    4. Fantastic! Gotta do all six in a row, it’s the only thing that makes sense ;)

      And I hear ya, on both the unbalanced scenarios and the winning even when you’re losing. Good luck!

      V/R,
      Jack

      Delete
    5. Oh, and I came across this the other day whilst surfing the web, thought you would think it’s cool, even though there’s not much info:

      http://modernerawargaming.blogspot.com/search/label/WW2x2?m=0

      V/R,
      Jack


      Delete
    6. Thanks for that Jack. I remember that. There were a few email exchanges over the rules at the time. I continue to follow and read the blog. It has mostly been all ancients for the last few years, but that is OK as it is a main interest as well as WW2!

      The rules are not too bad (IMHO!) - a mashup of WRG 1925-1950, Take Cover!! and Irregular Miniatures Mechanised Warfare Rules.

      Delete
  4. Shouldn't Rapid Fire Reloaded be "RFR"?

    With a 1:300 scale, the building is far too large, allowing the British to get too many units around it. (Base size would also limit how many defenders can fit.)

    Going far from the 1:10 figure ratio probably causes other problems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. Definitely should be RFR! I will change it. RTR is an acronym used at work a bit so just slipped into that habit.

      My figures are on a small base and it is the building size ratio that is causing me my issues with assaults, hence my simple fix of assigning building a figure limit.

      Delete